Friday, April 4, 2014

Time to get back to work! A new tutorial for scrapping with PSE

I took a bit of a break in March and didn't write any of my popular but labour-intensive Photoshop Elements tutorials after writing at least two a month for quite a while. But you know what? I missed it. So when the opportunity to get back into it presented itself, I grabbed it.

For the last few months I've been test-driving templates designed by Melissa Dawes under the banner of LissyKay Designs. Her templates are quite distinctive and are growing in popularity by leaps and bounds. One particular kit is especially attractive to her ever-expanding clients, and that's this one:
It's a Cut


Several people have asked how best to use these templates and so, here's my workflow for making this quick and easy. (I use version 10 of Photoshop Elements but this should translate to almost any previous version and to most other digi-scrapping software.)

Step 1:
Pretty obvious! Open the template into your workspace and choose a photo to cut into strips. Keep in mind that there will be slivers of your photo that will disappear so try and choose one where you're not going to be cutting people's faces in half, or cutting limbs or noses off. In my example I've used a photo of a sailboat on the Charles River in Boston. Make sure that the very first photo strip layer is selected in your layers palette.





Step 2:
Next, select ALL the layers that have photo strips on them. (Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd>SHIFT>Click )





Step 3: Merge all the selected layers to create a single layer of photo strips. (Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd>E )





Step 4:
Drag and drop your photo on top of the photo strip layer. Adjust the size of your photo so that you can't see any of the grey photo strips anywhere.





Step 5: Clip your photo to the photo strip layer. (Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd>G ) You might want to adjust your photo to put the gaps in more pleasing spots, to keep Joey's nose on his face or to avoid amputating Jenny's arm. You can move your photo around on its layer and see what looks best. And that's all there is to it!





And before I post this, I'll show you a layout that I made using this template...


Now that I've gotten my groove back, I'm going to learn a bunch of new techniques so I can then draft tuts for them and share them with anyone who's interested. Links to my previous tutorials, drafted while I was a member of the Trixie Scraps blog team, which means the tuts belong to Trixie Scraps, are below for perusal. From here on out, my work will be mine, and mine only!

~Jan






No comments:

Post a Comment